Thursday, March 10, 2011

Just saving a little

My husband and I are working on trying to cut cost were we can. The other day I brought the idea to my husband that we should try cloth diapering. On average for one child being in diapers for 3 years (I potty train sooner around 1.5 yrs) it will cost a family about $2,300!! FOR ONE KID!! We want 5 kids, I didn't even want to do the math for that one. I just can't believe how much money would be spent on something we throw away daily! That's a lot of money to throw away.

So my search began...
I started looking for the easiest diaper out there, because Jeremy is not liking the idea of changing a cloth diaper. I was looking for an one size all-in-one diaper and I found this all-in-two diaper called "Best Bottom Diaper". The cover is wipable on the inside and the inserts snap in, all you need to do is snap out the soiled insert, wipe anything that might have gotten on the cover and snap in a new insert. NO STUFFING INSERTS!! Jeremy got really excited when he saw how easy these diapers are.  I ordered one cover and 3 inserts just to test try these diapers. I can't wait for them to come in.

Next I contacted a friend of mine who just potty trained her daughter (also cloth diaper babies potty train sooner!) she has tons of "bumGenius" diapers. she is letting me borrow some to see how I like them.

My friend Katie makes her own cloth diapers and really liked the sound of the "Best Bottom diapers" and after I get mine she said we can get together and see if we can make some.

So in all I have many options on saving money in the diaper area. Oh I also am going to make my own cloth wipes :) I'm very excited to get going on cloth diapers.

I'm not doing it for "the environment"
I'm not "going green"
I'm not trying to "save the planet"
I'm not against disposable diapers

The bottom line is....I just want to save some money...maybe we will be able to go on a family vacation with all that saved money :) I see Disney in our future!

1 comment:

  1. I have some cloth diapers. The wipe able cover w/ snap in insert is great, but I wouldn't use the same cover immediately after use. I like to let them dry so use 2 (unless poo gets on it... because with BF it still gets on the leg parts that can't be wiped) and let one dry while I use the next.

    I have some Bum Genius AIO's. (you can add extra stuffing if you need to for night too!) The only problem is they are sized, but you kind of have to have a one size in an AIO or it gets too bulky. I LOVE them!If you really are going to have 5 kids, then getting sized diapers isn't a problem.

    Also All-in-One size diapers typically don't fit newborns.
    Pockets really aren't that bad either. They dry alot faster too. Jeremy should be fine with them especially if you stuff them all once they are dry!

    ReplyDelete